Established in 2010, Elephant magazine covers contemporary culture through the lens of the visual arts, with a focus on emerging artists, designers and photographers. We also run Elephant West, a busy West London art space, bar and cafe, and Elephant Kiosk, a shop for exclusive artist collaborations and art and design products.
We publish daily stories online, as well as putting together a quarterly print magazine that is distributed internationally. Our audience is based all over the world, and we champion a diversity of voices in our commissioning. Our online readership is growing fast, and we are seeking an editorial assistant who can bring their own unique perspective to Elephant magazine as we continue to expand our audience.
- Write regular interviews and features on a fast turnaround for Elephant’s editorial website, covering the intersection of visual culture with gender, mental health, education, money and the internet
- Use CMS on a daily basis to upload articles
- Research up-and-coming artists to showcase on Elephant’s website and in print, with a focus on artists who have not previously been widely covered
- Conduct and organise detailed research for articles and infographics
- Clear image rights and carry out picture research
- Check and finalise all captions for images in the print magazine
- Fact check articles
- Organise for voucher copies of the print magazine to be sent to featured artists and contributors
- Support the editorial team in the day-to-day production of content for online and print
- Occasionally offer support to the Elephant West and Kiosk teams
- A minimum of six months experience working in-house for an online editorial platform, magazine or newspaper
- Experience of working with a CMS to upload articles
- A number of published stories that demonstrate your skill as a writer
- Knowledge of how to research stories effectively, and the ability to translate complex ideas into an accessible style of writing
- A strong and genuine interest in art and culture
- An understanding of the internet and engagement with social media
- Experience using InDesign and Photoshop [desired but not essential]
Please send a CV and maximum one-page cover letter to email@example.com with the subject line “Editorial Assistant application [+ your name]”. The closing date for applications is midnight on 22 March 2020. Interviews will take place in early April.
This role will be part-time, two and a half days a week, based in our West London office. It will be freelance with some opportunity for flexible working.
Elephant is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We pay all staff above the London living wage.